Sunday, October 17, 2010

Review: Martha Stewart's Scoring Board


If you are like me, then you know the trails and tribulations that scoring can create. When I first started paper crafting, I didn't know that all these fancy tools and products even existed. I knew that many people crafted, because stores like Michaels and Stampin Up were around, but I didn't actually take the time to learn the the techniques that make crafting super easy to do. I kind of wish that I did since my very first encounter with stamps and a paper cutter were our wedding invitations. Man, those would have been so less time consuming if only I knew what I know now!!!! However, the awesome memories that were created and the many a bottles of wine that were consumed, just add to the warm and fuzzy memories of our wedding. *Sigh*

Anyway, one of the biggest hurdles in my life is a straight line. I blame it all on my childhood of course, that and my lack of sense of direction, but that's another blog post. I think I'm the only one in this world who can get lost for almost 3 hours with a GPS unit, two paper city maps, a Blackberry with Google maps on it, and screeching on Facebook like a mad woman, hoping someone will help- to no avail, I was still lost until I found the Whitemud- in which I took straight home and cried like a little school girl. I never did find where I was trying to go.

Back to the original topic. My guilty little secret is that I cannot fold anything straight nor can I cut straight. I do blame it all on my childhood, I am left-handed so I could never use scissors properly and it was the 80s, so there wasn't anything made to adapt to us southpaws. I can remember how many times I would try to cut paper, only to find that the paper just folded in the scissors instead of actually cutting. I couldn't use a ruler because the numbers were on the wrong side- so my measurements would get screwed up. It was horrible. I would try to make paper dolls or snowflakes and I would end up with dolls missing arms or snowflakes that crumbled when opened.

Last year I stumbled across a website promoting the ScorPal- I thought this was the coolest thing ever and spent hours upon hours watching YouTube videos of people scoring and cutting. I thought it was the greatest thing. I would have ordered it then and there except I seriously didn't want to pay the shipping price to Canada.

I knew that Michaels carried the Matha Stewart version of the ScorPal so I waited until I had a 40% off coupon to get it. I finally decided to take the plunge and went to Michaels in search of MS's version. With the coupon it was around $15.00 Canadian, so I figured it was a great deal. The cashier told me that she had one and loved it- so that made my purchase feel a bit better- until I couldn't use my coupon because it was already reduce to 30%. Oh well, I had to pay a few extra bucks, no worries.

Review of Product:
Overall, it's a good tool to have. Be careful though, I have almost lost the little scoring tool like 10 times, it keeps ending up in my recycling bin [no garbage bin for this green savvy girl] so put it in a good place where it won't get lost. In fact, there is a compartment designed for the tool, but that's too easy for me. ;)

The scoring tool is a little flimsy for me, I'm scoring 100 sheets of projector paper for my Christmas stamp-a-stack tomorrow and the tool keeps bending because of the amount of pressure that I'm using. It would be awesome if it was designed with a little finger notch on the top, but really, it's just a minor flaw.

I like how many lines there are- every 1/8 is a line, which is great for when you need to score details. It works really well on heavy cardstock and obviously can be used for projector paper- yeah for clear cards!!!!

I would definitely recommend purchasing one, it makes a crisp, clean line and scoring is super easy to do on it, which is nice when you have a lot of cards to make or don't want to change out the blade all the time on your cutter.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment